   RE: [xml-dev] XSD question

>Subscribe by email to xmlschema-dev-request@w3.org

Well, as long as we've got the thread going here...

>Lax processing is recursive, so the non-beta
>children of alpha will be laxly validated as well, unto the n-th
>generation.

Then why was the word "children" used in the quoted passage ("...or any
items among its [children]")instead of "descendants"?

My experience seems to bear out what Dare says. Here's my schema:

  <xs:schema xmlns:xs="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema";>

    <xs:element name="alpha">
      <xs:complexType>
        <xs:sequence>
          <xs:any processContents="lax" maxOccurs="unbounded"/>
        </xs:sequence>
      </xs:complexType>
    </xs:element>

    <xs:element name="beta">
      <xs:complexType>
        <xs:sequence>
          <xs:element name="c" type="xs:string"/>
          <xs:element name="d" type="xs:string"/>
        </xs:sequence>
      </xs:complexType>
    </xs:element>

  </xs:schema>

Xerces C++ reports errors for the third beta element below, but not the
second:

  <alpha xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance";
     xsi:noNamespaceSchemaLocation="alpha.xsd">
    <e/>
    <f>
    </f>
  </alpha>

In the absence of the kinds of declarations described by Jeni for other
potential parents of beta, descendants of the processContents="lax"
element's children seem to be processed as if those children had a
processContents value of "skip". Otherwise, the x element in the second beta
element would have triggered an error, right?

My basic goal is this: to write a schema that accepts everything in a
well-formed document except those elements specifically declared in that
schema, wherever they may turn up in the document. It's not looking
encouraging in XSD, although I have managed it in RNG.

Bob