   Re: [xml-dev] Web Services and Quality

<Quote1>
Response time, for example, may be critical to one company, but of much
less importance to a second.
</Quote1>
AND
<Quote2>
So, Agency #1 is interested in fast response times, accurate prices,
ability of the web service to determine distances to where the business
traveller needs to do business, amenities such as computer-friendly
(preferably high-speed) rooms, and so on.
</Quote2>

All great points. I would separate these into 2 types of metrics:
performance metrics (such as response time, of course) and business
metrics (the amenities listed above). In fact, I would rename "business
metrics" to "business criteria" since they are more criteria than pure
measurements.

Kind Regards,
Joe Chiusano
Booz | Allen | Hamilton

Joseph Mayer wrote:

> Of course, the problem that I see with any system like this is trying to
> figure
> out all of the metrics that a consumer may want to see.  Response time, for
> example, may be critical to one company, but of much less importance to a
> second.
> To use your example, let's say I have two travel agencies and a person who
> uses
> web services on their own, with no agency involved.  Agency #1 deals mainly
> with
> business travelers, while agency #2 has mostly retired pleasure travelers as
> its clientele.  The person is one of those programmer-geek types that
> sometimes
> wants to go to programming conferences, and sometimes has to travel
> somewhere to
> support a program that they screwed up on (not that this ever happens to
> me...).
>
> So, Agency #1 is interested in fast response times, accurate prices, ability
> of
> the web service to determine distances to where the business traveller needs
> do business, amenities such as computer-friendly (preferably high-speed)
> rooms,
> and so on.
>
> Agency #2 is not as interested in the response time, and their set of
> "necessary"
> values provided by the web services is largely different.  Comfort,
> availability
> of swimming pools, closeness of tourist attractions and availability of
> guided
> tours and such become "core" to their needs, while those are just fluff for
> the
> business travelers.
>
> And the person may just want to be able to pull down an accurate description
> and
> browse for what they want...
>
> I guess the end result would kind of be like the star ratings on hotels
> themselves.
> I've stayed at 2-star hotels that I've gone back to year after year, because
> they
> served a particular purpose that I liked, and I've been to 4-star hotels
> that I
> wouldn't stay at again because I just didn't think the continental breakfast
> was
> worth the extra price.  Does that mean that the ratings are wrong, or that
> the
> 4-star hotel was just "fooling" the auditors?  Not necessarily.  It just
> means
> that even within one "industry", there may be a plethora of
> metrics/descriptors
> that need to be looked at.  Perhaps too many for an accurate rating system.
>
> Joe Mayer
> Information Systems
> Kathrein Inc, Scala Division
> Medford, OR, USA

begin:vcard
n:Chiusano;Joseph
tel;work:(703) 902-6923
x-mozilla-html:FALSE
url:www.bah.com
adr:;;8283 Greensboro Drive;McLean;VA;22012;
version:2.1
email;internet:chiusano_joseph@bah.com
title:Senior Consultant
fn:Joseph M. Chiusano