From: Chiusano Joseph [mailto:chiusano_joseph@bah.com]
Sent: Wednesday, September 17, 2003 12:54 PM
To: Nicolas Toper
Cc: Simon St.Laurent; xml-dev@lists.xml.org
Subject: Re: [xml-dev] Web Services and Quality

Regarding metrics and measurement: I'm going through the W3C Web
Services Architecture (W3C Working Draft 8 August 2003[1]) which
presents 5 "architectural models" - one of these models is the
"Management Model". This model includes the concept of "management
metrics". It states:

"The value of the metric captures the information at a point in time.
Generally these values are numeric, but may be strings as well. This can
be contrasted with Measurements that are calculated with a formula based
on metrics, e.g. Average response time during the last hour of
execution. The metrics requirements do not enforce any implementation
pattern. A managed element should allow any available metrics and
measurements to be reported according to configurable time intervals,
such as cumulative, sliding window, and interval. A managed element must
declare which interval types are supported."

So one potential criteria for rating a Web service could be (as the
example above suggests) average response time. This could be computed
dynamically and updated at regular intervals, according to an advertised
method (e.g. cumulative, sliding window, and interval - as in the
example above).

Kind Regards,
Joe Chiusano
Booz | Allen | Hamilton

[1] http://www.w3.org/TR/ws-arch/

Nicolas Toper wrote:

> the web have the same problem :=) if you find an answer you'll do
> better than google (which might be a part of the solutions)

UDDI-like approaches.