   RE: [xml-dev] mime types and xml dialects

well this is one of the subjects I'm talking
about, namespaces in a document can in fact
be pertinent to which mime type it should
have, so this is something I'm doing, the
only viable solution it seems to me, until I
get a chance to look over some of the other
stuff people have pointed me to, is to add
application specific headers to the http
response that tell a requesting application
what namespaces are in the document, I say
the only viable solution as it is the only
thing I can think of that won't break most
applications that call it, or at least have
unintended side effects. It is of course
somewhat process intensive, but our
application has a module structure so any
server hosting it could just choose to drop
the mime reporter module.

As a side issue, as I have a liking for REST
as opposed to SOAP, this seems to me to be a
good component for any application hoping to
provide a REST-ful interface to this xml
resources.
> an idea would be try to comine mime type
with namespaces (but how? ;=)) if
> you need to know what is the content type
before opening the file and reads
> the namespaces.
>
> What do you think of that?
dialects

> Well if X wants to get instances of a
particular xml or rdf dialect, but
> X knows that said dialect is most
generally represented as
> application/xml+rdf then currently X has
to get the whole resource, and
> then parse the resource to find out if it
is indeed the dialect they
> want to retrieve. As a general rule the
mime type of a dialect is given
> at the above level of granularity because
web server mime type
> assignments take place at a very high
level, i.e. extensions, or
> locations, or at best, a combination of
extensions and locations.

> However if X knows that they can check if
the application is of a
> specific type, by checking a Header at the
beginning of crawling a site,
> then X can probe various headers to
determine what mime types a resource
> can be interpreted as before consuming
bandwidth by actually getting the
> resource.
>
> This is a general usage example, and not
deeply thought on so it could
> very well be a general uselessness
example :)  however as I am currently
> implementing some specific functionality
for an application, pertaining
> to setting Mime types and headers to
convoluted to go into here (in
> short getting a vcard in xml format, and
returning it as xml or setting
> up a processing chain to get it as text/x-
vcard) it struck me that what
> I was doing was in some ways related to
problems of getting the proper
> resource, and in telling a consumer what
the resource actually is.