   Re: [xml-dev] Pushing all the buttons

tbray@textuality.com (Tim Bray) writes:
>Let me see, they're going to do Web Services with a binary XML format
>based on ASN.1, which is "a telecommunications standard that is the
>binary equivalent of XML Schema"; Sun Distinguished Engineer
>Pelegri-Llopart said "The main point here is there is almost an order
>of magnitude between straightforward Web services using XML encoding
>and an implementation that takes care of binary encoding."  They're
>also going to have a "Fast Infoset" and "Fast Schema".

It makes sense to me, given the low-to-negative value that most
developers of projects in that space give to XML as anything beyond
"something which has lots of toolkits".

I'm desperately tired of hearing programmers whine that XML isn't
optimized in any of ten different ways they find more interesting than
human-readability, so maybe it's past time they wandered off to things
that make them happy.

Those of us with priorities appropriate to things XML is actually good
at might then be better able to get some work done, without the constant
shoving of programmer trash in our faces.