   Pushing all the buttons

  • To: XML Dev <xml-dev@lists.xml.org>
  • Subject: Pushing all the buttons
  • From: Tim Bray <tbray@textuality.com>
  • Date: Sat, 20 Sep 2003 08:22:17 -0700

See http://www.infoworld.com/article/03/09/19/HNfastwebservices_1.html

Let me see, they're going to do Web Services with a binary XML format
based on ASN.1, which is "a telecommunications standard that is the
binary equivalent of XML Schema"; Sun Distinguished Engineer
Pelegri-Llopart said "The main point here is there is almost an order of
magnitude between straightforward Web services using XML encoding and an
implementation that takes care of binary encoding."  They're also going
to have a "Fast Infoset" and "Fast Schema".

It's paranoid to think that some malefic Infoworld writer would assemble
a story entirely out of elements designed to irritate me.  A fair-minded
person would, I guess, shut up and see if this bears fruit, so I will.
--
Cheers, Tim Bray
         (ongoing fragmented essay: http://www.tbray.org/ongoing/)