   Re: [xml-dev] Pushing all the buttons

bill.dehora@propylon.com (Bill de hÓra) writes:
>Find a customer and imagine which you think they want to hear- "yes
>its slower but it'll be up in 12 weeks, cheap and cheerful, and
>anybody in oppers can read what's coming in off the wire", or "yes
>it blazes but it'll take six months cost more, and no, oppers won't
>be able to understand anything". Yes I do draw a direct correlation
>with text wire formats over internet protocols with cost-effective
>high relevancy integrations shipped earlier.

I trust you and a few others to provide quality services using internet
protocols and text-based wire formats.  Unfortunately, a lot of what's
out there doesn't reflect much understanding of either those protocols
or those formats, though it frequently advertises itself as XML.

If the people who can't be bothered to figure out XML in any kind of
depth can be encouraged to use approaches which better fit their
existing understandings of the world, that seems like a gain to me, not
a loss.

>Call me biased, but I
>honestly don't know how anything got done at all in middleware
>before XML and HTTP came along.

The world seemed a lot more polarized between Perl-and-text-over-sockets
approaches and CORBA/DCOM/RMI etc. approaches.  XML kind of splits the
difference between those two.  I think the mistake I see made constantly
as a result is that programmers take less responsibility for getting
those middle pieces right.  There's a lot of "it's crap, but you can
puzzle it out" going on.