   Re: [xml-dev] Pushing all the buttons

On Sun, 2003-09-21 at 05:33, Mike Champion wrote:
> [Quoting from Bray, St. Laurent, and de Hora ...]

well, i've written parsers for languages, edi, my own (text) languages,
and having done a few projects now with xml and xslt (xsltproc) i can
only say that it is dramatically faster for me at least to use an xml
format and xsltproc to translate the xml to some sort of executable -
postscript, tcl, my own languages etc

i think it's the essentially nonprocedural nature of xslt that makes for
efficiency. but then i've been a nonprocedural programmer for 20 years
so i have a bit of practice at the changed mindset.

a lot of this streaming/binary stuff comes from the fact that
programmers like to procedurally control things and on the whole seem to
adapt very badly to giving up control. xml for web services and the like
is a big giving up of control so we'll continue to see lots of this
stuff.

rick