   Re: [xml-dev] Pushing all the buttons

On Sun, 2003-09-21 at 03:03, Bill de hÓra wrote:
> Simon St.Laurent wrote:
>
> > tbray@textuality.com (Tim Bray) writes:

<snip/>
> Just as long as they don't start proposing fast HTTP or fast TCP :)

binary http and html ... now there's a way to speed up the net ;)

i'm doing a small consultancy at the moment - outside xml - where
performance is an issue. let me just say now, that bad system
architecture has a lot more to do with performance issues than any of
the readable xml vs asn issues will ever do.

even with web services i'm far more concerned with reliability of
service than performance at the moment - how do web services work when
the internet at the other end (china in my case) drops 30% (minimum) of
all packets and goes off line for half an hour at a time, on average
every second day during business hours?

at the risk of starting another thread, i can't see any way forward with
existing proposals and i'm going back to using xml messages - we
services or otherwise, as mime attachments in emails, using automated
email handlers. binary (esp asn) isn't even on the horizon.

fwiw adsl in oz isn't that reliable either

cheers

rick