   Re: [xml-dev] Pushing all the buttons

Liam Quin <liam@w3.org> writes:

> As far as I can tell, people *are* using binary representations
> of XML in various ways, for various purposes, already.  They aren't
> going to stop just because W3C doesn't tell them how to do it, or
> just because xml-dev doesn't like it :-)

If your purpose is leadership, this is a good opportunity, and you are
right, if the W3C doesn't not step in, someone else may.

> So the question as I see it becomes, is there a way to specify a
> binary format, or binary interfhange framework of some kind, in
> such a way that a significant majority of the people currently
> using binary formats agree to implement and use it?

Just trying to play the cards you were dealt, are you.

> If so, we are possibly increasing interoperability, and should
> investigate it further.

There is another scenario. You do nothing, no viable competitor to W3C
emerges, and without efficient leadership no interoperability in the
binary infoset space develops. People go back to "normal" XML, or else
back to CORBA/DCOM/RMI. Simon is happy he doesn't have to deal with
them. W3C is unhappy it lost some constituency it thought it had.

Ari.