   Re: [xml-dev] Pushing all the buttons

At 8:29 PM -0400 9/20/03, Liam Quin wrote:

>As far as I can tell, people *are* using binary representations
>of XML in various ways, for various purposes, already.  They aren't
>going to stop just because W3C doesn't tell them how to do it, or
>just because xml-dev doesn't like it :-)
>
>So the question as I see it becomes, is there a way to specify a
>binary format, or binary interfhange framework of some kind, in
>such a way that a significant majority of the people currently
>using binary formats agree to implement and use it?

You're still assuming in advance of the facts. This is *exactly* what
I was afraid of from the W3C. You're saying if we can do something,
we should do something. The question is not really whether it's
possible. It is clearly possible as many existing binary formats
prove. The question is (or should be) whether it's a good idea. My
belief is that a binary format of the sort you're talking about so
pollutes the XML brand and the XML environment that it is actively
harmful, interoperable or no.

I would much rather have a thousand non-standard, non-interoperable
binary formats without any official status than a single W3C blessed
format. Unofficial binary standards won't be adopted in any large
part, and won't be able to be exchanged and won't be adopted outside
of small groups and single organizations. Their effect on the Web and
the XML community will be minimal. However, a single orthodox binary
representation will replace XML in many more cases leading to a less
interoperability and much less transparency overall.

--

   Elliotte Rusty Harold
   elharo@metalab.unc.edu