   Re: [xml-dev] Pushing all the buttons

> For the record, there's nothing Java specific about the encoding. Data
> is encoded using ASN.1 Packed Encoding Rules (PER). ASN.1 was around
> long before Java, PER is not based on Java serialization. I would expect
> a C based ASN.1 PER library to perform as well as a Java equivalent.

Do you force byte alignment within the PER message?

This will be comical when using crypto in XML, DER->base64->PER.  :)

Why not use DER?  Hand-coded (or probably more accurately,
IDL-compiler-generated) parser could just skip the tags, in most cases
the lengths would be single-byte, and you'd get better interop.  Seems
like that's closer to the 80/20.

	/r$
--
Rich Salz, Chief Security Architect