   Re: [xml-dev] Pushing all the buttons

On Monday, Sep 22, 2003, at 11:57 US/Eastern, Rich Salz wrote:

>> For the record, there's nothing Java specific about the encoding.
>> Data is encoded using ASN.1 Packed Encoding Rules (PER). ASN.1 was
>> around long before Java, PER is not based on Java serialization. I
>> would expect a C based ASN.1 PER library to perform as well as a Java
>> equivalent.
>
> Do you force byte alignment within the PER message?

All our tests have been with aligned PER.

> This will be comical when using crypto in XML, DER->base64->PER.  :)
>
> Why not use DER?  Hand-coded (or probably more accurately,
> IDL-compiler-generated) parser could just skip the tags, in most cases
> the lengths would be single-byte, and you'd get better interop.  Seems
> like that's closer to the 80/20.

Most of the work is involved in the XSD->ASN.1 mapping, substituting an
alternate encoding (e.g. DER instead of PER) would be fairly
straightforward. That said, all of our tests have used PER so I
couldn't comment on the performance impact of switching to DER.

Marc.

--
Marc Hadley <marc.hadley@sun.com>