   Re: [xml-dev] some days I'm wrong

tbray@textuality.com (Tim Bray) writes:
>Interesting.  My intuition would be precisely the opposite - that the
>RNC is enough simpler and more expressive that that's where I'd start
>teaching.  But them I'm not a regular teacher -Tim

I'm not as regular a teacher as I used to be, but the experience I had
on Friday (which made me start this thread) backs up Tim's intuition
quite perfectly.

The compact syntax was precisely the right path into schemas.  The
person I was helping already had a spreadsheet full of parts, and
rethinking it in the compact syntax was trivial.  The XML might have
worked, but there was a huge sigh of relief that this abbreviated form
could be turned into XML - and that I could teach the basics in about an
hour.