   [OT] ISO politics and the English language (was: [xml-dev] ISO turns evi

"Bob Foster" <bob@objfac.com> writes:

> From: "K. Ari Krupnikov" <ari@cogsci.ed.ac.uk>
> > Rick Jelliffe <ricko@allette.com.au> writes:
> >
> > > (Remember, non-commercial use is not in question
> > > here, so Free software developers are immune to problems here.)
> >
> > "Free software" and "commercial software" are completely orthogonal
> > categories.
>
> Double-plus-bad. Despite the efforts of the Ministry of Information, "free"
> still retains the meaning "no charge",

"The word /free/ still existed in Newspeak, but it could only be used
in such statements as 'This dog is free from lice' or 'This field is
free from weeds'. It could not be used in its old sense of
'politically free' or 'intellectually free' since political and
intellectual freedom no longer existed even as concepts, and were
therefore of necessity nameless."

> among several others that have nothing at all to do with permission
> to use, copy or distribute.

/me wonders what you had in mind.

Ari.

/me wonders if Goodwin's law extends to Orwell.