   Re: [xml-dev] ISO turns evil?

At 2003-09-23 17:36 +1000, Rick Marshall wrote:
>i think if you read the messages carefully this shouldn't really affect
>anyone

Except our end users ... and we can't always trust our end users to do
things properly.  And when things don't get done properly, who gets
blamed?  The end user usually doesn't think it's them.

>the message seems to say that if you want include the codes in a
>commercial product you have to pay
>
>if you want to advise your customers about where they can download the
>codes for use, then noone pays
>
>a nuisance, but it would affect say oracle who wants to value add their
>product with the codes, but not me because i'll just show my clients how
>to download the codes.

And that is a candidate approach we started looking at yesterday in the
code list task group for UBL: we were going to synthesize our code lists
from a foreign source and supply them, but we are now considering just
supplying the stylesheet I was using to do that and have the end user use
that stylesheet to synthesize the code list they want from the foreign source.

UBL isn't commercial, but there will be integration houses who I suspect
will want to package, deliver and support UBL as a commercial
delivery.  Certainly I'll be doing that with UBL stylesheets.  That's the
Linux model, isn't it?

Adding yet another task to the end user is something to be avoided and I
would much rather supply the synthesized results.  But I don't think we can.

.................. Ken

--
Next public US delivery:        3-day XSLT/2-day XSL-FO 2003-10-13
Next public European delivery:  3-day XSLT/2-day XSL-FO 2003-11-??

Crane Softwrights Ltd.          http://www.CraneSoftwrights.com/x/
ISBN 0-13-065196-6                       Definitive XSLT and XPath
ISBN 0-13-140374-5                               Definitive XSL-FO
ISBN 1-894049-08-X   Practical Transformation Using XSLT and XPath
ISBN 1-894049-11-X               Practical Formatting Using XSL-FO
Member of the XML Guild of Practitioners:     http://XMLGuild.info
Male Breast Cancer Awareness  http://www.CraneSoftwrights.com/x/bc