From: Bullard, Claude L (Len) [mailto:clbullar@ingr.com]
Sent: Tuesday, September 23, 2003 3:50 PM
To: 'ari@cogsci.ed.ac.uk'; xml-dev@lists.xml.org
Subject: RE: [xml-dev] relax ng public list?

I followed the link but didn't find the conspiracy theorist quote.

Dare makes a case.  They have a big framework with lots of applications
using XML Schema and haven't digested all of it.  A topic for a separate
reply.

Some people don't choose their tools.  Some like the tools they have.
I am habituated to opening the text editor to work with markup in any
form until it proves too tedious to do so.  W3C Schema isn't that
tedious, but a good editor helps.  By contrast, to do much that is large
and efficient in X3D, an editor is a must-have for me but I know a few
folks who managed VRML97 without one.  So you are right about the
complexity, but add to that, the opacity of the content regardless of
the encoding.  Real time 3D files are full of number triples, so human
readable and human comprehensible aren't quite the same thing.

len

From: ari@cogsci.ed.ac.uk [mailto:ari@cogsci.ed.ac.uk]

"Bullard, Claude L (Len)" <clbullar@ingr.com> writes:

> RNC certainly.  A GUI user doesn't need a simplified syntax.

A GUI vs. text, as with any different-level-of-abstraction level
symbolic systems, is a tradeoff between ease and control. RELAX NG
doesn't have enough complexity to make giving up control worth the
marginal added ease for many people (no more than a speculation, again).
I'm sure someone somewhere wrote a GUI to edit /etc/fstab, but I don't
see a wide acceptance.

> why shouldn't VS enable one
> to select the schema language?  Is it an issue of 'the W3C sanctioned
> this one and we are good members', or 'this came first and we had
> sweat equity in it, and you only need one', or 'sounds good, maybe
> later'?

Last time I speculated on that [1], you called me a conspiracy theorist
:=)

> A shot in the dark:  RELAX NG is not perceived as an interesting
> technology in the domain where many desktop and services vendors are
> focused at the moment: web services.
>
> Would that perception be wrong?

Again, I think people who do "WS the VS way" are not the kind of people
who appreciate an elegant tool for a more civilized age.