   Re: [xml-dev] A RELAX NG question

K. Ari Krupnikov scripsit:

> I have a master RNG file that describes general properties of my
> grammar, and individual RNG files that describe individual
> elements. The master file <include>s the individual ones.

Do you have them separated out merely for ease of maintenance, or do
you anticipate using different contents for the individual files?

> Question 1: is this a good way of
> doing things in RELAX NG, or should I consider a better alternative?

The obvious alternative would be to avoid the machinery of "define"
combination, and simply use externalRef to bring in the element patterns
directly.  This is somewhat more streamlined.

> Question 2: I need to add declarations that would be common to all
> members of a particular class. An obvious way is to have every element
> <ref> the common declarations (a group of attributes in this
> case). Can I do it in one place? DTDs don't provide such a mechanism,
> XSD does (thought inheritance).

I don't see that it's any better or worse to have to ref common
subpatterns than to have to specify a common base type.

--
Real FORTRAN programmers can program FORTRAN    John Cowan
in any language.  --Allen Brown                 jcowan@reutershealth.com