   Re: [xml-dev] Pushing all the buttons

At 10:59 PM -0700 9/23/03, Dennis Sosnoski wrote:

>It's clear that transformations of XML into alternative
>representations can result in substantial increases in performance
>over conventional text parsers (at least for Java), and can also
>result in substantial reductions in document size.

People keep claiming that, but I've yet to see convincing evidence of
it. At most, I see benchmarks based on one or two documents with very
particular structures. I've never seen any data for these binary
formats based on a broad range of XML documents of varying sizes.

--

   Elliotte Rusty Harold
   elharo@metalab.unc.edu