   Re: [xml-dev] Pushing all the buttons

On Wed, 2003-09-24 at 22:04, Elliotte Rusty Harold wrote:
> At 10:59 PM -0700 9/23/03, Dennis Sosnoski wrote:
>

> >It's clear that transformations of XML into alternative
> >representations can result in substantial increases in performance
> >over conventional text parsers (at least for Java), and can also
> >result in substantial reductions in document size.
>
> People keep claiming that, but I've yet to see convincing evidence of
> it. At most, I see benchmarks based on one or two documents with very
> particular structures. I've never seen any data for these binary
> formats based on a broad range of XML documents of varying sizes.

and you won't get it. as far as i can work out sun (who seem to be the
prime mover in this case) need web services under java to be fast.

that means a lot of things:

1. is java the problem in converting to binary etc
2. web services may indeed know about numbers, where xml in general
doesn't
3. you will notice that their emphasis is on asn.1 which is a big
advantage where numbers are involved, but what about documents which
make extensive use of attributes, and large blocks of text
4. i don't see any of this helping the potentially deeply nested nature
of xml
5. there's lots more html out there and i don't see too much support for
"binary" html - which could really speed up the web if this is such a
good idea (apologies in advance if this starts another thread)

maybe xml is the wrong technology for web services, but then that's the
discussion we should have. at any rate web services is still a fallen
tower of babel to me.

let's see how the workshop goes ;)

rick