   Re: [xml-dev] Pushing all the buttons

From: "Rick Jelliffe" <ricko@allette.com.au>
> The first step should be to ensure that plurality is supported, and
> battle out what the characteristics and
> uses of different formats are, *then*, to the extent that there is a
> clear requirement and agreement,
> develop or sanction a specific W3C approach.  (What it means is that MS
> should have its preferred
> compression method but also support the one that becomes popular in
> Linux; similarly, the Linux
> people can have theirs, but also support the one from MS.  For example
> both of an ASN.1 encoding
> and an optimized GZIP, etc.  The most important thing is that the
> infrastructure must support
> multiple forms of binary, to allow market and technical forces to work
> in favour of whatever the
> current best choices are.)

How is it you're going to ensure that X support the method that becomes
popular in Y? How is it than Y is going to be _able_ to support the X
method? (Names changed to protect MS, I mean X.) What prevents them keeping
their method a secret or patenting it?

Seems to me that interoperability requires at least one "compression method"
that everyone is required to support.

Bob Foster