   new SVG book from CRM + free sample download

Folks:

For those of you who aren't interested in SVG or Java
graphics, please feel free to press 'delete' right now...

If you're interested in a plethora of SVG graphics samples,
then this might be the book for you.  This book contains a
substantial variety of code samples, where each example is
typically between three and four pages.  The driving force
behind these examples is to create aesthetically appealing
images with the least amount of code/effort.  (How I envy
the Archimedean ant that can move the earth!).  Given the
paucity of books that are focused on graphics, I think
you're in for a pleasant surprise.

I've included a great many variants of certain themes, and
the reason for the tidal wave of code is two-fold: first,
neophytes of SVG will be spared many hours of work; second,
the variations attempt to illustrate the myriad of ways that
minor changes can produce interesting visual effects.

I do need to elaborate a little bit more about the volume
of code.  Although almost everyone responds to color effects,
it's difficult to quantify why one color combination is
more appealing than another. Moreover, I would assert that
once you step beyond a "common denominator" (which is
very small), it is virtually impossible to predict what will be
appealing to a large number of people.  Therefore, if you
believe (as I do) that color is the most important thing
in graphics, then the rationale behind the many "micro
variants" will be apparent. If nothing else, you will have
a massive supply of code samples that will kick start you
(so to speak) into the SVG world of graphics (one person
told me "it's like having tons of interesting swatches").

As a parenthetical but relevant aside, this book has a
limited number of XSLT examples, but I'm in the process
of doing something about that as well...

Incidentally, if you like Java-based graphics, you might
also be interested in Java graphics book (ISBN number
I-58450-092-1), which was published in 04/2002, and was
translated into Mandarin.

Meanwhile, I genuinely hope that my foray into the world
of SVG will provide a tiny spark that will ignite a creative
fire in some of the people on these lists.  My parting
thought is to mention that despite what I've managed to
cobble together, this book represents only what is inside
my head; as such, it's only a glimpse into what can be
done in SVG!

I'm interested in feedback, particularly from artists,
regarding the patterns and imagery.  Here's the link for
the book details and free download:

Cordially,

Oswald Campesato

Do you Yahoo!?