   Re: [xml-dev] some days I'm wrong

Jonathan Robie wrote:

> FWIW, the first compact syntax I saw for XML Schema was in the XML Query
> Formal Semantics,

I would say that the early drafts of the XQuery formal semantics
provided a compact syntax not for XML Schema, but for an XML type system
similar to XDuce.  Since XDuce via TREX was also one of the starting
points for RELAX NG, there was at that time a lot of semantic similarity
between RELAX NG and the XQuery Formal Semantics type system.  As XQuery
has evolved its semantics to be more compatible XML Schema, so that
semantic similarity has lessened.

> and was designed by Phil Wadler, Mary Fernandez, and
> Jerome Simeon. It was kicked around in the Working Group for quite a
> while before being published here:
>
> http://www.w3.org/TR/2000/WD-query-algebra-20001204/
>
> I suspect that this compact notation may have influenced the others.

It did.  It's explicitly acknowledged in the RNC spec:

   http://relaxng.org/compact.html

XDuce was also defined in a compact syntax and preceded both TREX and
the XQuery work.  I believe Phil had some involvement with XDuce as well.

James