   Re: [xml-dev] some days I'm wrong

Joe English wrote:

> I'd venture a guess that Relax-NG, via TREX, was more
> influenced by Brzozowski's 1964 paper "Derivatives of
> regular expressions", which uses a purely syntactic
> approach.  (The derivative algorithm, for instance,
> is what makes the interleave operator feasible.)

Well, without that paper there probably wouldn't be RELAX NG.  However,
it didn't directly influence the design of TREX.  I had decided the
basic semantics I wanted -- XDuce type system, plus namespaces, plus
attribute/element content models, plus an & operator that did the right
thing -- before I knew whether it was feasible to implement it.  Then I
found (via Google) Mark Hopkins' regex package which, together with the
existing work on RELAX implementation, was the starting point for my
initial TREX implementation.  Mark Hopkins acknowledges Brzozowski as
the originator of the derivative approach.  Since then Murata-san has
discovered work on something called shuffle automata which he has used
to implement interleave. See

   http://citeseer.nj.nec.com/153367.html

James