   Attaching information with each Node

  • To: xml-dev@lists.xml.org
  • Subject: Attaching information with each Node
  • From: Ramkumar Menon <ram.menon@oracle.com>
  • Date: Sat, 27 Sep 2003 13:25:51 +0530

Hi,

My application is creating a DOM tree from a set of Nodes passed to it,
one after another, at Runtime.Later, I would persist the tree to the
database.
While I am recieving the nodes, I need to have some information attached
with each of them for some processing. There are two ways I know of
doing this.
1) Decorate the Node with an attribute that holds the information
2) Use the setProperty() method that holds the information.

If I am going with (1) ,then after I do the required processing, and
before I persist the constructed DOM tree out of these nodes, I need to
undecorate the tree . (i.e. remove the attributes, since the persisted
tree should not have these temporary attributes. Also this post
processing is expensive.
If I am going with (2), I find that the setProperty() implementation is
a bit expensive too.

i.e.  for e.g.

For (1) for a node <employee>, the decorated node will be <employee
custAttr="1">. Then based on this attribute, some processing is done.
Later as a part of post processing the attribute is removed from the node.
For (2), for a node <employee> I would do
employeeNode.setProperty("custAttr","1"); These would not appear in the
persisted XMLValue. But again, this is expensive from profiling results.

Is there any othe more performing way of doing this ?
Any help will be appreciated.

thanks,
Ram.
--