   RE: [xml-dev] Managing Innovation

> Can an innovative environment produce a trusted computing system?

If the constraints are accepted beforehand, sure.
Great innovation happens under (and often in response to)
the most constrained conditions.

Related: http://www.useit.com/alertbox/20030908.html
(third heading down, "[Misconception:] Usability Kills Creativity")

> Can we 'do the simplest thing that will possibly work'
> and still produce a secure system.

Unlike usability, considering *trust* issues as you set out to design
will usually preclude the simplest thing from being done.
Where we often get into trouble is throwing such all-encompassing
constraints onto an already-built system.  No matter how low your
"iteration cost", if you've inadvertantly carved security out of
the final product, you're not going to pump out a secure version
next week.  Too much would have been ignored by that point.

- Chris