   RE: [xml-dev] xml schema and OWL

> >How do I tell an XML schema that the only possible values of an element
> >could come from members of a class with some properties defined
> in an OWL
> >ontology?
> >
> >My concern is not to duplicate efforts by writing a list of possible
> >values in an xml schema and again in an OWL ontology.
>
> XML Schema doesn't know anything about OWL,

True, but OWL does know about XML Schema simple datatypes (via RDF) :
http://www.w3.org/TR/owl-ref/#rdf-datatype

> Yes, this duplicates effort, but XML Schema and OWL are not two parts of
> some integrated system, they live in largely separate universes.

They are to a great extent different universes (XML and Description Logics),
but there is an intersection of sorts. I suspect it causes headaches among
purists in both universes, but the pragmatic approach does appear to work
reasonably well in a lot of cases.

But if XML-level validity is important, I'm not sure how duplication can be
avoided.

Cheers,
Danny.