len

From: Rick Marshall [mailto:rjm@zenucom.com]

sorry, but i disagree - strongly.

that's what ibm said 20 years ago and every design since has had to cope
with 640k base memory ranges and other "that'll be more than enough"
decisions.

compare with codd's approach which was to build security as a
fundamental of the relational database model from day 1, but not limits
like those mentioned below.

dbms limits to record size, index components, number of keys, etc have
plagued many applications and it would be a shame to build these things
into a standard.

what if you mandate a limit, but technology or a smart programmer works
out how to cope with more - do we get xml 2.1-<memory
limit>2**32</memory limit> as a spec?

i'm not saying they're not issues, just that they're not good issues for
specifications

rick