   Re: [xml-dev] Managing Innovation

John Cowan writes:

 > The only way to make a computer crack-resistant is to unplug it,
 > put it in a locked safe, and then fill the safe not quite full of
 > concrete.

That's crack-proof (the risk of cracking is small enough that it
becomes unreasonable).  For simple crack-resistance, a hardened OS and
installation, some kind of independent integrity monitor, a locked and
guarded room, and no network connection should be good enough.

When people ask me to list the advantages of markup languages like
XML, this is usually one of the first things that comes up -- XML is
extremely Sneakernet compatible, so that you can burn all of your data
onto a CD or floppy, carry it 200 meters, and then load it into the
secure computer with no loss.  Try that with CORBA or DCOM.

All the best,

David