   Re: [xml-dev] Managing Innovation

David Megginson scripsit:

>  > The only way to make a computer crack-resistant is to unplug it,
>  > put it in a locked safe, and then fill the safe not quite full of
>  > concrete.
>
> That's crack-proof (the risk of cracking is small enough that it
> becomes unreasonable).

Umm, I was punning on "crack"; a computer full of concrete is most
unlikely to crack!

> For simple crack-resistance, a hardened OS and
> installation, some kind of independent integrity monitor, a locked and
> guarded room, and no network connection should be good enough.

Well, it depends on how easy it is to subvert the guard.  This is a
paradigm case of "crunchy outside, soft inside".

> When people ask me to list the advantages of markup languages like
> XML, this is usually one of the first things that comes up -- XML is
> extremely Sneakernet compatible, so that you can burn all of your data
> onto a CD or floppy, carry it 200 meters, and then load it into the

+1

--
Her he asked if O'Hare Doctor tidings sent from far     John Cowan
coast and she with grameful sigh him answered that      www.ccil.org/~cowan