   Re: [xml-dev] Managing Innovation

  • To: xml-dev@lists.xml.org
  • Subject: Re: [xml-dev] Managing Innovation
  • From: Rick Jelliffe <ricko@allette.com.au>
  • Date: Tue, 07 Oct 2003 09:05:37 +1000

Joe English wrote:

>Don't get me wrong -- I think the Unix family really *is* the
>greatest thing since sliced bread, and that it's the best thing
>we've got.

Well, I think it completely sucks that we are still using late 70s/early
80s -based
systems such as Windows and Unix.  12 years ago I was working at TI with
systems
that allowed multiple processors running different operating systems
simultanously,
object-oriented operating systems (you created a printer by deriving a
class from
PostScript+Printer+the port), instant suspend and resume, OS-provided
GC, etc etc.
And that was an OS regarded then at the end of its life...

For goodness sake, the last successful new OS was TRON! (Which is
supposed to be
the most ubiquitous OS, surprisingly)

Something has stifled innovation.

Cheers