   Re: [xml-dev] Is google a conceptual graph engine?

Didier PH Martin wrote:

> So far so good. Now what do I do If after having translated this model or
> view of the world into  RDF/OWL I try to merge that with an other
> conflicting view of the world? This is a real problem we will have to face
> in the semantic web. The real issue is not to encode the ontology, not it is
> to create a web of trust to validate the ownership of these views, it is
> more how can we re-conciliate conflicting views of the world? What we did up
> to now was to use a social process to resolve the issue.
>
> Can someone give some references about ideas proposed to resolve these
> issues (I mean with the W3C semantic web technologies off course).

There have been some threads about contradictions on
public-sw-meaning@w3.org recently.  In one of them, today Pat Hayes
said, with respect to someone else's example -

"... Look, it seems obvious that inconsistencies in closely related
documents (eg one uses a vocabulary originating in the other) are a Sign
of Something being Wrong. What exactly is wrong, however,  will depend
on the context, in ways we cannot possibly predict. Maybe people are
confused; maybe they just disagree; maybe one of them is trying to screw
over the other; whatever. We can't legislate for that; all we can do is
to say when there are inconsistencies, and we do that already. "

Cheers,

Tom P