   Re: [xml-dev] Validation question

John Cowan wrote:
> I think that this is quite beyond the power of any validator not
> written for the purpose, especially given that the xlink:href
> attribute contains a general URI, not merely an IDREF.

It actually should point to an element within the same document fragment.
According to SVG spec:
"The target element must be part of the current SVG document fragment.
<uri> must point to exactly one target element which is capable of being
the target of the given animation. If <uri> points to multiple target
elements, if the given target element is not capable of being a target
of the given animation, or if the given target element is not part of
the current SVG document fragment, then the document is in error
(see Error processing)."

The URI is still not limited to local URIs by the standard, so I suppose
that non-local URI references that get resolved to the right document
fragment just because the file is stored at the correct path are OK.

Kiia Kallio
Software Engineer
Fathammer Ltd.
http://www.fathammer.com