   Re: [xml-dev] fundamental facets - inquiry from the XML SchemaWorking Gr

Liam Quin scripsit:

> Even the length of a day is not in fact entirely constant,
> because of leap seconds, and because of daylight savings time.
> (I would like to make a withdrawal from my savings, please!)

Leap seconds do affect the length of the day, but daylight saving
changes don't.  It's true that certain *calendar* days have 23 or
25 hours in them, but "a day" means either 24 hours or on rare
occasions 24 hours and 1 second.

> One approach to arithmetic is to convert durations to a
> number of seconds, and dates to a nuber of seconds past some
> epoch, an offset from UTC, and a local timezone name.

I think a sensible approach to the duration value space is to
ignore leap seconds (as is conventional) and to construe
a duration as an ordered pair <months, seconds>.

--
Knowledge studies others / Wisdom is self-known;      John Cowan
Muscle masters brothers / Self-mastery is bone;       jcowan@reutershealth.com