   Docbook for Policies and Procedures

Hi all

I am new to XML...my background is primarily in web based programming in
PHP and MySQL (I am MySQL certified).

I am building a Content Management System specifically centered around the
Policies and Procedures of a University. So the CMS will:

         - Allow Content Editors to add and maintain Polcies and/or Procedures
         - implement a Version control system for each Policy/Procedure
         - implement a workflow control system to allow documents to be
published by only one or two privileged editors (Administrators)
         - usual CMS stuff such as basic web page content management
(WYSIWYG editor controlled), User Management etc etc

The Policies and Procedures will be stored as XML documents in the
Filesystem (the remainder of the content is stored In MySQL, and the
application API is beiong developed in PHP - of course!), each version
being a separate document, and each Policy/Procedure having its own
directory and sub-directories for approved and draft versions.

OK...enough waffle. I have been mulling over the idea of an XML Schema to
use, and I have concluded I have two options :

         - roll my own...I have been doing this all day and then I realised
I could....
         - use DocBook

I do not know enough about Schemas to know if I would be on the right track
to use DocBook, however my gut feeling is to stick with a widely used and
standard Schema rather than getting really specific and customised. I was
also joyed to realise there are XSL definitions for transforming Docbook
content into PDF/RTF output etc....

I am still trying to ascertain whether Docbook would be overkill or whether
it would be the best thing I could do. It is interesting to realise that
what I had been developing as my own schema shares element and attribute
names with Docbook elements and attributes - leading me further to think
that adopting Docbook would be wise....

Has anyone used Docbook for any similar kind of project - that is, being
Policy/Procedure centric, as opposed to being Book/Manual centric??? What
do you all think of Docbook (or at least those of you that have an opinion
on the matter??)

Is there anyone out there who has/is used/using Docbook in a PHP based app?

Would it be useful provide more specific info about my requirements for you
all to reply to my questions? Or maybe there is a better list for me to
post to?

I realised today why I am beginning to really dig XML...so I am a tad
over-excited lol....

Ray Cauchi