   Re: [xml-dev] Re: xml, books

Dave Pawson wrote:
> The conclusion was that readers place different value on
> a print book and the same content on the web.
>  I'm curious what this group of 'readers' think of this evaluation.

Printed books and really good online materials have a different
structure.

A book makes a linear reading, and you need TOC(s) and indices
for cross references. Course material must be written in a linear
form.

A well designed online information matrial is usually a sensibly
cross linked network of information. Which makes it hard to
print it out because it must be linearized in the process.
And of course this needs quite a different writing style.

We came near this some time ago when we discussed the structure
of your XSL FAQ...

J.Pietschmann