   inconsistent naming of styles in OpenOffice.org

  • To: XML-DEV <xml-dev@lists.xml.org>
  • Subject: inconsistent naming of styles in OpenOffice.org
  • From: Tsuguya Sasaki <ts@ts-cyberia.net>
  • Date: Sun, 19 Oct 2003 09:46:01 +0900

There is inconsistency in the naming of (paragraph and character) styles
in OpenOffice.org (Writer) when they consist of more than one word. In
the majority of cases the first character of each word comprising a
style name is capitalized (e.g., Bibliographical Heading), but in the
following cases only the first character of the first word is capitalized.

- Paragraph Styles: Complimentary close, First line indent, Footer left,
Footer right, Object index 1, Object index heading, Table index 1, Table
index heading
- Character Styles: Endnote anchor, Line numbering, Main index entry

I've been trying in vain to find any rules in this seeming
inconsistency. Is this mere inconsistency, or am I missing something?

You may laugh at me, but this is the reason why I haven't converted all
my legacy documents in a proprietary format to OpenOffice.org XML format.

Tsuguya Sasaki
http://www.ts-cyberia.net/