   RE: [xml-dev] more fixed lists (was UTF-8+names)

I don't see how the lists can be changed in the future, since we are talking
about an encoding.  Changing the lists would mean that the encoding becomes
a different encoding, and must have a different name (UTF-8+names-1,
UTF-8+names-2, etc.).  The last thing we want is interoperability problems
between different versions of the *same* encoding that decode the same byte
sequence in different ways.  So any list that is initially specified must be
carved in stone.

Or do we want a parameterized UTF-8+names encoding, depending on a named set
of lists?  Something like "UTF-8+names(myLists)"?  This would probably solve
the original use case better than a fixed set of lists.  But aren't we
getting too far along this path??  I think we are.

It seems to me that we are really addressing the problem at the wrong layer.
The more I think about it, the less I like the proposal.   I can understand
the use case that inspired this proposal, but I increasingly believe that
the problem should be solved at the XML level, not at the encoding level.

Alessandro