   Re: [xml-dev] UTF-8+names

John Cowan wrote:

>It's easier to make happen.  As editor and original chief pusher of
>XML 1.1, I know what I'm talking about.

That seems a little whiffy, John. As probably a bane of your life at
that time, I note that:

* XML 1.1 did not fix a problem that a significant number of existing
current users had,
* XML 1.1 drafts involved altering qualities of XML that some people
considered significant, and
* at least at one stage the XML WG tried to dismiss discussion of the
ramifactions of drafts by a
bureaucratic slight-of-hand (i.e. that it wouldn't discuss individual
characters because that was
now Unicode' business).

The idea of specifying fallback behaviour for references to undeclared
entities with
standard names
* fixes a current problem that a significant number of users have,
* does not alter XML's robustness but makes it less fragile.
* And the XML WG is very cooperative.

Furthermore, I have always felt that a version-up of XML would not
thrive unless it
had enough bang-per-buck. A reform to undeclared entity defaulting plus
the 1.1 changes
are more likely to be over the tipping point that just 1.1  alone.

Cheers
Rick Jelliffe