   Re: [xml-dev] UTF-8+names

In article <p06002008bbbc32627620@[192.168.254.4]> you write:

>It might affect people who are wrapping to a specific line length,
>especially if they have a longish encoding name.

If you can show a single real document that this applies to, I'll take
it more seriously.

>However, I don't see the benefit of doing it in 1.1 since parsers
>already have the code to handle line broken XML declarations.

The problem is that you don't know which characters are line breaks
until you've read the version number.

>Making
>an additional distinction between 1.0 and 1.1 will just make parsers
>a little harder to write since they'll need to special case this
>depending on version.

The change was based on implementor feedback, in particular a comment
from me, though I only suggested outlawing the new line end characters.

>In either case, I assume you're planning to go back to last call
>then? I don't see anything about this in the candidate recommendation.

The CR period is for implementation feedback.  Since it affects no
existing (i.e. 1.0) documents, I can't see any need to go back to
last call.

-- Richard