   RE: [xml-dev] Alternative "character entity" proposal

michael.h.kay@ntlworld.com (Michael Kay) writes:
>Simply the fact that I can't expand my entities until I know what my
>namespace bindings are, and I can't expand my namespace URIs until I
>know what my entities refer to. The layering has gone completely to
>pot.

The layering's been pot for a long time, I'm afraid.

Except for the case where the namespace declaration itself uses an
entity in the namespace it's declaring, however, workarounds are readily
possible.

(Actually, it occurs to me that you could intermesh declarations for
even more perversity, and would probably have to ban the use of
namespaced entities inside of namespace declarations.  To expand on my
earlier example:

<perverse xmlns:e="http://simonstl.com/ns/&b:hahaha;";
          xmlns:b="http://simonstl.com/ns/&c:hahaha;";
          xmlns:c="http://simonstl.com/ns/&e:hahaha;";