   XML Parser vs. XML Processor?

I wanted to describe what an XML parser is and what it does, at a level more
detailed than hand-waving and quoting dictionary definitions of "parser".

Checked the XML spec and... no use of "parser", only "processor"
(www.w3.org/TR/REC-xml#dt-xml-proc).  Perhaps an XML parser is part of an
XML processor.  Or perhaps the two are synonymous and we're all a bit sloppy
and "parser" because it sounds more technical than "processor".

But then I looked at http://xml.apache.org and discovered many references to
"XML parser" but very few to "XML processor".

Is there anywhere a description of the difference (if any) between an XML
parser and an XML processor?

Thanks!

Andrew Webber
613-941-4911 | facsimile / télécopieur 613-952-7869 | TTY/ATS 1-800-665-0354
Andrew.Webber@ccra-adrc.gc.ca
Canada Customs and Revenue Agency | 875 Heron Road | 2nd Floor | Ottawa ON
K1A 0L5
Agence des douanes et du revenu du Canada | 875 rue Heron | 2e étage |
Ottawa ON K1A 0L5