   Re: DOCTYPE and namespaces via DOM

On Wed, 2003-10-15 at 14:48, Gregory Murphy wrote:
> If I add a document type declaration to the same
> document, i.e.
>
>     <!DOCTYPE xc:cursors>
>     <xc:cursors xmlns:xc="http://docs.sun.com/xmlcursor";>
>
> the root node data changes to
>
>     node.getNodeName() = "xc:cursors"
>     node.getLocalName() = null
>     node.getPrefix() = null
>     node.getNamespaceURI() = null
>
> The presence of the document type declaration appears to shut off
> namespace processing. Is this expected behavior?

No, nothing in the DOM Core specification indicates that changing
Document.doctype affects the document element. As far as I remember, the
only "magic" regarding Document.documentElement happens at creation time
when using DOMImplementation.createDocument(...).

>  Does it make sense?

I guess the xerces team had some logic when they did it. Having to
perform XML Schema and DTD validations simultaneously might be one of
them. It doesn't make sense from XML 1.0 or Namespaces in XML 1.0.

Philippe