   Re: [xml-dev] Alternative "character entity" proposal

cowan@mercury.ccil.org (John Cowan) writes:
>Liam Quin scripsit:
>> On the other hand, there's work we can do precisely *because* we
>> are not public, so it cuts both ways.  Experience with HTML at
>> IETF indicated that it can be hard to get participation from
>> key players if things are too open :-( :-(
>
>*sigh*  What that experience illustrated, IMHO, is that trying to
>standardize a hot potato as it jumps from hand to hand is an exercise
>in futility right up there with trying to keep the fizz in the opened
>bottle by shoving the cork back in.  I hope someday the W3C will get
>over that trauma.

Founding traumas are notoriously difficult to get over, but that's not
necessarily good.  It's like the W3C had a bad childhood, and now, well,
the rest of us get to pay for it.  And its precious members... oh how I
feel for their business pain, especially when it produces technical
lunacy unhindered by fresh air or light.

I don't think XML is nearly the hot potato it once was anyway, and by
design it had less temptation for vendor tweaking.  Get over it.