len

From: evan@evanlenz.net [mailto:evan@evanlenz.net]

Roger L. Costello wrote:
> Len Bullard wrote:
> > A good NLDS program does not choreograph because
> > that makes the process a fixed form.  It orchestrates:
> > defines roles, rules of roles, and assigns instrumentation.
> > Then it is an intelligent performance and this can be tuned
> > to inhibit or evoke non-linear behaviors.
>
> This needs to be expanded upon with some concrete examples.

<snip/>

> What's next?  How can you participate? I can think of
> four things:
>
> 1. Can you suggest some interesting examples which would
> require non-linearity, and would use XML?

Maybe there's something more to the musical metaphor (orchestration,
instrumentation, performance, tuning) than just metaphor, if you're
looking for examples. As far as XML's role goes, we have a nice vocabulary
for (Western) musical material already: http://www.musicxml.org/xml.html

The mathematics are out of my league, but I do like the idea of being able
to generate alternative "performances" of the basic stuff you would find
in the MusicXML representation of, say, a Bach cantata, whether involving
human interaction or not, while employing XML tools to boot.

Sometimes I wonder whether XML and XSLT really make sense to use for some
of my unexplored computing interests (such as "musical transformations",
whatever that might mean). But maybe the virtue is not so much "the right
tool for the right job" as the fact that new people are looking at known
problems in new social and technical contexts, simply because they like to
use the same tools. Roger's enthusiasm is emboldening on that front.