   Re: [xml-dev] syntax, model

> Isn't describing "what the data looks like", what a data model
> does?

No, it also describes the possible values.  (Did I really write "what
the *data* looks like"?  That was sloppy, I should have used "bytes")

When you see "xs:any" at the end of an "xs:complexType" declaration, do
you think "base class" or do you think ".*" (the regexp pattern).  It
took me some time to get away from the first notion, and it's still hard
to come up with good words to explain it.

What is the data model of this?

    <xs:element name="Address">
       <xs:complexType>
           <xs:element name="Street"/>
           <xs:element name="Country"/>
           <xs:element name="PostalCode"/>
       </xs:complexType>
    </xs:element>

Try writing schemas throwing away xsi:type -- that's a *local* issue,
and need not be a *global* matter.
	/r$

--
Rich Salz, Chief Security Architect