   Re: [xml-dev] syntax, model

On Friday 24 October 2003 12:16, Rich Salz wrote:
> > Isn't describing "what the data looks like", what a data model
> > does?
>
> No, it also describes the possible values.  (Did I really write "what
> the *data* looks like"?  That was sloppy, I should have used "bytes")

What's the difference between saying: "the data will fit this
form" versus "the possible values are of this form"?

> When you see "xs:any" at the end of an "xs:complexType" declaration, do
> you think "base class" or do you think ".*" (the regexp pattern).  It
> took me some time to get away from the first notion, and it's still hard
> to come up with good words to explain it.
>
> What is the data model of this?
>
>     <xs:element name="Address">
>        <xs:complexType>
>            <xs:element name="Street"/>
>            <xs:element name="Country"/>
>            <xs:element name="PostalCode"/>
>        </xs:complexType>
>     </xs:element>

We're not connecting on something here, because for me, that XML
snippet does describe a data model. It says an Address is composed
of a Street, Country and Postal Code. What else is there for a
data model to say about an Address?

A syntax, like XML, then tells you how to get from this data model
to actual bytes.

Tyler