   RE: [xml-dev] syntax, model

I assumed you knew how to use Google. From the first hit on Google which
turns out to be extremely relevant

"The XQuery 1.0 and XPath 2.0 Data Model (henceforth "data model")
serves two purposes. First, it defines precisely the information
contained in the input to an XSLT or XQuery processor. Second, it
defines all permissible values of expressions in the XSLT, XQuery, and
XPath languages. A language is closed with respect to a data model if
the value of every expression in a language is guaranteed to be in the
data model."

This is totally different from what a schema does. This is also the
difference between the relational model and a relational schema.

--
PITHY WORDS OF WISDOM
To err is human, to forgive is against department policy.

rights.