   Re: [xml-dev] Proposed Application for Literature

[ Charset windows-1252 unsupported, converting... ]
> Dear list people,
>
> This is a "please stop me from reinventing the wheel" sort of posting.
>
> I maintain the "Scotstext" website at http://scotstext.org/ and am looking
> to put it into XML or at least supply parallel XML files to the HTML already
> present.
>
>     </Head>
>     <Title level='1'>Ballade o the Tweed</Title>
>          <Paragraph>Written on the banks of the river in
> question.</Paragraph>
>     <Stanza>
>         <Line>The ferox rins in ruch Loch Awe,</Line>
>         <Line>A weary cry frae ony toun;</Line>
>         <Line>The Spey, that lowps o'er linn an fa',</Line>
>         <Line>They praise a' ither streams abuin;</Line>
>         <Line>They boast their braes o' bonny Doon:</Line>
>         <Line>Gie me to hear the ringin reel,</Line>
>         <Line>Where shilfas sing an cushats cruin</Line>
>         <Line>Bi fair Tweedside, at Ashiesteel!</Line>
>     </Stanza>

Have you considered TEI?

http://www.tei-c.org/ is the authoritative resource for the markup

  <div1><head>Ballade o the Tweed</head>
   <lg>
     <l>The ferox rins in ruch Loch Awe,</l>
     <l>A weary cry frae ony toun;</l>
     <l>The Spey, that lowps o'er linn an fa',</l>
     <l>They praise a' ither streams abuin;</l>
     <l>They boast their braes o' bonny Doon:</l>
     <l>Gie me to hear the ringin reel,</l>
     <l>Where shilfas sing an cushats cruin</l>
     <l>Bi fair Tweedside, at Ashiesteel!</l>
   </lg>

The markup is oriented towards both presenting the original properties of a piece of literature
and expressing its structure. There is a wealth of converting and maintaining tools available.

David Tolpin
http://davidashen.net/