From: Michael Champion [mailto:mc@xegesis.org]
Sent: Sunday, October 26, 2003 8:28 PM
To: xml-dev@lists.xml.org
Subject: Re: [xml-dev] can you use inheritance (extension) in relax ng?

On Sunday, Oct 26, 2003, at 16:01 America/Detroit, Tim Bray wrote:

>   So what possible reason could Microsoft have for *not* making an
> investment in RelaxNG?

I'm not sure I agree with Len that MS are being "nice guys" and leaving
this to the open source community, but they do have an open (in the
sense of well-defined and extensible) architecture that clearly can
support an aftermarket.  So, what reason could open source projects or
startup companies not have for building, say, a RelaxNG-powered Office
2003 plugin that lets one take advantage of the MS XML capabilities
without forcing them to endure the pain of W3C XSD for no gain (e.g.,
in the world of documents as opposed to data)?

I have s sinking feeling that the open source projects won't do it
because of the well-known antipathy of MS for open source (and vice
versa?), and the startups won't invest because they figure that some
open source project will do it.  I hope I'm wrong!